Monday, August 17, 2009

Goals for ministry

My pastor wants the staff to come up with some goals for the upcoming year in ministry. I wouldn't consider myself highly goal oriented - not to say I don't enjoy setting them, and especially accomplishing them, but it isn't the first thing I do in terms of planning. But goals, both general and specific, can keep us on track for where we need to be going in life. So, here are some goals for my upcoming year in ministry:


General:
  1. I want to be the kind of youth pastor that kids don't see as religious or intimidating, but welcoming, friendly, and obviously interested in their lives
  2. I want to see my students take ownership of a youth ministry that has changed a great deal in the past few months with many students graduating and the "face" of the ministry changing
  3. It is my goal to spend up to 3 times a week just hanging out with students - not manipulating conversation, not a formal teaching time, but hanging out with them and their friends. This could be going to their games, taking them out for lunch or a drink, playing video games, whatever comes up.
  4. I want to be able to say come July of next year that I've stayed diligent, disciplined, and have not gotten complacent in any season of ministry.
  5. I want to pray more earnestly for our students as individuals and the times of gathering for Bible study. I have done a poor job of this on a consistent basis.
  6. I want to prepare to teach in such a way that I talk TO student and not AT them. They feel like they get talked at all the time, and I don't want to be one of those adults in their mind.
Specific:
  1. It's my goal to see at least 3 new students at something every month. Wednesdays, events, Thursdays at Panera, Community Groups, whatever
  2. It is also my goal to see these new students connect with other students and feel an immediate sense of belonging, whether they "stick" to our group or not.
  3. It is my goal to be better organized with students' information - email, numbers, etc.
  4. It is my goal to have every message I give be Gospel focused and not morally focused
  5. I want every gathering to include time of prayer, both to openly rely on God for anything that happens of value, and to allow kids to pray and gain confidence in coming before the Father
These are just some things off the top of my head right now. In the end, I can write anything down but need to implement it if it will work.

Question: When you have set goals for yourself, no matter what the occasion, what made the difference in whether or not your succeeded or failed?

Soli Deo Gloria


To make a comment, click "comments" just below any post, then type in the box

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Get a discussion started here: