Saturday, September 18, 2010

Getting Over The Hurdle


"I'm too busy to _________". How many times have I said that, or thought that, in my lifetime? Hundreds to say the least. And the truth is, at times I AM too busy to do certain things. And then there's the fact that many things are not worth doing. But, here's where I'm going with this: there are many things that are worth doing. Writing, for me, is worth doing. I love sitting at the computer and hammering out a few pages for a paper or a few thoughts on this blog. And yet, I just can't "get over the hurdle" as it were. I write twice a week at best. I think about writing quite a bit, yet I just don't sit down and do it. One author I like, Donald Miller, says (in a book or his blog, I'm not sure) that there are many people who like the idea of writing but don't ever get down to business and write. I want to get down to business and write.

So, how do I get over the hurdle with this one? I've thought about trying to write something every week day, spending at least 30 minutes a day on a topic, Scripture, life experience, whatever. And the truth is that right now I do have the time to do that. I'm in school full time and I am already experiencing school work piling up on me, but I have the time. And here's the last fact: everyone has the same amount of time in a given day. So how do the great ones get great at their craft? Whether it's music, writing, a sport, acting, being a doctor, teacher, lawyer, pastor, the list goes on... the great ones do it by discipline and practice - they say no to things that get them off focus and stay on task. I'm going to be that person.

I want to be great. Not great in the way most people think of it. I want to be "humbly great". Jesus says in Mark 10:43-45 "But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Much could be said here, but my reason for quoting this is that Jesus doesn't scold the disciples for aspiring to greatness... he scolds them for aspiring to worldly greatness which typically exploits, discredits God, and exalts the self. I want to be a great servant. I want to be great. Lord help me.

If you want to leave a comment, click on "comments" below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Get a discussion started here: