Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Spiritual Funks

I feel like I'm in one of those spiritual funks right now. The kind of funk where I'm doing quite a few things, things "for the Lord" yet don't feel connected at the heart level to Him very deeply. It's frustrating because I can't always explain what causes me to get into these. There are times I can point out what it is pretty clearly. Other times it just feels like my busy schedule gets in the way. Discouragement tends to increase in these times as well. I know that one of my consistent sins I need to repent of before the Lord is the "numbers game" sin that is prevalent in ministry leaders. I'd say that over all our group is pretty strong and growing in relationships with one another and with God, and yet sometimes what I feel is a "success" is more often tied to whether or not a certain number of kids were there rather than whether or not I sensed that the students were loved and genuinely connecting with one another.

One thing I do know: when I feel in these funks, taking the time to be with God personally is less frequent... which in turn usually feeds this funk I am in. I've seen over and over that the primary way out of this state is time with God. So it's sort of redundant at this point: time with God is the one thing I most lack when in a funk and the one thing I most need to get out of the funk. There is no magic number or length of time that "gets someone out" - it's just a consistent observation in my own life. Honestly, I'm writing this more for myself and my own thoughts than for anyone to read this, but if you are reading this and have insight into your own spiritual funks and how you tend to get out of them, I'd be happy to hear about them. Feel free to email me or comment below.

Soli Deo Gloria

To make a comment, click on "comments" below and type away

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Get a discussion started here: